Thursday, July 1, 2010

On food in Hong Kong (food)

Wow, I actually wrote these last few updates on the flight back to the US.  At the time I'm writing this it is 2:25 AM in Hong Kong yet I'm perfectly awake for some reason.  In any case, this is about food in Hong Kong.
There is a lot of food in Hong Kong and I really do mean that.  From fast food to family diners to full out world class restaurants, there is a lot of food here.  I think that if you really like food and all kinds of it, especially Chinese food, that Hong Kong is an absolutely great place for you.  However, besides Chinese food there is also Indian curry places, Japanese, Korean, and many other places that I didn't have a chance to even see.  For this post, I'm gonna focus on a single restaurant I went to towards the beginning of my stay, general pricing, and fast food because well...because I'm American and fast food is a part of our lives whether we like it or not.
When it comes to world class restaurants, there is a particular rating that is known worldwide for labeling the world's finest restaurants.  This system is the system of Michelin stars.  A single restaurant can have up to 3 Michelin stars, but even having one is an amazing feat and shows the prominence of a restaurant.  While I did not go to a 3 star Michelin restaurant, I did go to a 1 star Michelin restaurant towards the beginning of my stay.  The restaurant's name was Din Tai Fung and served Chinese food.  Now, having grown up on Chinese food, I didn't really have many expectations, but I was sorely wrong.  The food there was quite easily the best Chinese food I have ever had.  Without a doubt, I do believe in that Michelin star and the quality that must come from having one.  I won't go into what I actually ate since trying to describe it would be boring for both you and me, I'm sure of that since I don't have that kind of vocabulary nor that kind of skill when talking about food.
Anyways, I'd like to do a quick bit on pricing of food and meals in Hong Kong.  Generally, you get quite a lot of food for a pretty small amount of money.  For example, at a family diner you can get breakfast or lunch for around 20-40 HKD which comes out to $2.50-5 US.  A lot of places serve curry and both rice and noodles are popular at these sorts of family diners.  Most menus have English, so if you aren't quite sure what you're ordering you can look at pictures or if there isn't English, ask for an English menu.
Last on this post is fast food.  While in Hong Kong, I had fast food a total of twice.  I had McDonald's once, and I earlier said that my last meal was at Pizza Hut, although it's debatable whether Pizza Hut is considered fast food or not.  In any case, I'll talk about McDonald's first then in another paragraph talk about Pizza Hut and my last meal in Hong Kong.  Ok, first off McDonald's is actually quite popular in Hong Kong.  Perhaps not as much as in the US, but still pretty popular.  Particularly, chicken nuggets are popular.  Just recently they added more flavors of dipping sauces, and some of them are actually pretty good.  They also have a stupid mascot for those new dipping sauces, but I won't talk about that, if you care his name is Dimjack and you'd look up Hong Kong with his name.  Price-wise, McDonald's is actually cheaper in comparison than in the US, at least when currency is translated.  It's cheaper by about a dollar or so, regardless of whether the drink happens to be a bit small.  The actual amount of food is pretty much the same.  They also happen to have strange regional items as shown in the picture below as I'm too lazy to explain them.

Finally, my last meal in Hong Kong.  Pizza Hut in Hong Kong seems to be pretty ritzy.  The restaurants are really fancy and the food is pretty different from normal pizzas.  Quite frankly, I don't like having to eat appetizers and such since they make me full too quickly and then I can't eat my actual meal.  However, in this case I'm glad, I didn't really like the pizza I ate.  It was some new Tapas pizza thingy without tomato sauce and I'm too lazy to explain and a picture's worth 1000 words so here:

No your eyes aren't deceiving you, those are octopus legs you see and shrimp.  Needless to say, it was an interesting pizza, even if I didn't particularly like eating it.  Also, if you ever see this in the US, please send a picture and state where you saw/ate it, I'm a bit curious.  Well, I think that pretty much wraps things up, I'll give a final impressions on Hong Kong a little later but for now I think I'm done.  I hope you enjoyed these last few posts and continue reading, after the anime rush, I'll be doing other things so you don't have to worry about giant masses of anime writing for a while after I'm done.  Also, apparently my posts are way longer than I originally intended, expect long posts pretty much always.  Another note, there are a lot of bakeries in Hong Kong so if you like bread, it's a good place.

--CsMiREK

No comments: