Monday, July 26, 2010

WD6 : Gankutsuou

Whether you care if this is a day late or not, here is WD6.  This week's weekly discovery is actually an anime by the name of Gankutsuou.  Gankutsuou originally aired in the fall of 2004 and winter 2005.  It is 24 episodes and is loosely based on Alexandre Dumas famous novel The Count of Monte Cristo, which is a novel I recommend you read if you're not into anime although if that were the case I'm not sure why you're here.  With some pretty stunning graphics, strange ones too, and a pretty good plot, I found Gankutsuou to be a pretty good anime overall.  While it's true that people of Dumas' time did not have say...giant robots or spaceships, I think that this is a good description of what a future Count of Monte Cristo would look like.  I would rank this up in some of my higher ranked anime titles due to the art and the plot even if that plot is largely based off a novel.  You can stream this anime from animenewsnetwork.com and from cruchyroll.com legally.  Also, I will not be doing anymore first episode reviews this season.  Either I found I didn't want to watch the remainder or they will make an appearance on my final review list or a possible quick appearance in a soon to be post.  That is all and I hope you've all been enjoying the summer as it rolls into August.

--CsMiREK

No comments: