Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Some Thoughts on Math and 7-11 pt.7

To those who know me, I'm thought of as someone who is at very worst, pretty decent at math.  However, I don't personally care much for the topic, especially after taking calculus, I lost all sense of its importance on my daily life.  For this reason, I'm going to talk about math, but more specifically numbers.  In particular, 7 and 11 will be the topic of these next two posts.
The two numbers 7 and 11 are the only two numbers in the English language that rhyme without use of prefixes like "twenty" or "negative" and don't end with "teen".  In addition, they are both prime numbers, which I will define as positive numbers with only 2 factors, namely 1 and them.  Now, as the mathematical implications of the number 11 and other numbers similarly formed of all ones is more interesting, I will focus my attention on the number 7 first.
At a purely mathematical level, the number 7 is largely inconspicuous besides its seat as a single digit prime number.  One interesting point mathematically about the number 7 is that its inverse, 1/7, is equal to .142857 repeating.  If you notice, pairwise those numbers are 2*7, 4*7, and (8*7 +1).  2/7 is equal to .285714 repeating or 4*7,(8*7+1),2*7.  It changes a little bit after that but that's not really all too important and personally I lose interest after 2/7.
In any case, regardless of the mathematical interest level of the number 7, humans have been fascinated by it since as long as we can remember.  It pops up in so many places that it simply cannot be coincidence.  However, there is no definitive reason why exactly so many cultures and belief systems from the Romans to Christians to Japanese customs see the importance in the number 7.  For a compilation I found when searching "lucky 7" on google, this link does pretty well at showing just how many cultures and different systems see how important the number 7 is.  Also, interestingly enough, a convex heptagon or 7 sided polygon is the first shape to have 2 distinct "star" shapes that look like this:
and this:
If you're being really anal, you'll notice they aren't perfect.  Well, screw you, drawing perfect heptagons is hard, it's not like I had a tool on hand to make them; making the diagonals is worse.  So if you have anything to say concerning how accurately I drew those, just don't say it.  In any case, 11's up next and will not have any obnoxious pictures to draw.  See you then....or maybe not.

--CsMiREK

No comments: